VMware Workstation 12 Pro and Workstation 12 Player announced
VMware has announced that they are releasing a new version of its leading PC virtualization solution, VMware Workstation™ 12 Pro. VMware Workstation 12 Pro is ready for Microsoft Windows 10, and introduces over 40 new features to support the latest software and hardware innovations in the industry.
“For more than 16 years, VMware Workstation™ has continued to streamline the way technical professionals operate in the enterprise,” said Nicolas Rochard, director, product marketing, End-User Computing, VMware. “Out of the box, VMware Workstation 12 Pro will work seamlessly with Windows 10, allowing developers and IT administrators to easily test for application compatibility prior to production deployments and enable maximum uptime and availability.”
VMware Workstation 12 Pro
With support for the brand new release of Windows 10 and the latest Linux distribution, VMware Workstation 12 Pro transforms the way technical professionals develop, test, demonstrate and deploy software by running multiple x86-based operating systems simultaneously on the same PC.
- Built for Windows 10 – VMware Workstation 12 Pro enables IT professionals and developers to test and develop for Windows 10 with their existing Windows or Linux PC. Users can take advantage of the latest features in Windows 10 like Cortana, the personal digital assistant and the inking capabilities in the new Edge web browser, or begin building universal applications for Windows 10 devices.
- Enhanced Graphics Engine – With support for Microsoft DirectX 10 and OpenGL 3.3, VMware Workstation 12 Pro enables and expands the type of 3-D graphics applications that can run inside a virtual machine.
- Improved Performance – VMware Workstation 12 Pro offers performance improvements that enhance productivity and the user experience. With performance improvements of up to 3x when suspending or resuming encrypted virtual machines, up to 36 percent faster 3-D graphics, and improved echo and noise cancellation when using Skype and Lync VoIP calls within a VM — highly demanding applications can be faster and more efficient than ever before.(i)
- Ready for the Latest PCs and Tablets – VMware Workstation 12 Pro has been optimized to support high resolution 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) displays for desktops and QHD+ (3200×1800) displays used in laptops and x86 tablets providing users with a crisp and detailed experience. Workstation 12 Pro also benefits from improvements in handling mixed environments between standard resolution PCs and 4K displays.
- VMware vCloud® Air™ Incentive Program – To help users get familiar with the benefits of cloud computing, VMware Workstation 12 Pro customers are eligible to receive $600 in vCloud Air service credit to use for up to 6 months — twice the standard VMware vCloud Air sign-up offer.
VMware Workstation 12 Player
VMware Workstation 12 Player™ (formerly VMware Player Pro) is a streamlined offering of VMware Workstation 12 Pro that is ready for Windows 10, offers enhanced 3-D graphics support and improved virtual machine performance. With its intuitive interface and easy setup, VMware Workstation 12 Player is another option for IT professionals to deliver a corporate virtual desktop to employees, contractors or customers.
Centralized Management of Distributed Virtual Desktops
VMware Workstation customers interested in managing virtual machines can upgrade to VMware Horizon® FLEX™. With the ability to centrally provision, manage and secure virtual desktops and applications running locally on PCs using policy-based controls, VMware Horizon FLEX is the ideal solution for customers who are looking to provide added management capabilities to their VMware Workstation install base.
New System Requirements
While 32 bit operating systems are supported inside virtual machines, VMware Workstation 12 Pro and Workstation 12 Player requires 64 bit processors and 64 bit host operating systems for advanced computing and modern application ecosystems.