Release 6.0 is a major software release for the Branch Repeater VPX for Citrix XenServer and VMware vSphere ESX/ESXi virtual machine. This release contains a number of new features along with bug fixes. Please see the release notes for full details. This major release of Branch Repeater VPX for Citrix XenServer and VMware vSphere ESX/ESXi virtual machine includes a significant number of new features, including:
New Features in Release 6.0.0
- Traffic shaping which expedites WAN traffic according to user-selectable policies. Both accelerated and non-accelerated traffic are shaped to give full control over the link. Traffic shaping replaces the “Repeater QoS” feature.
- Traffic classification and reporting give greater visibility into WAN traffic.
- Multi-stream ICA support provides a better user experience for XenApp and XenDesktop by combining acceleration with enhanced traffic shaping.
- Vista/Windows 7/Windows Server 2008 Filesystem acceleration. New SMB2 acceleration features increase remote filesystem performance.
- Windows filesystem acceleration. Signed SMB can now be accelerated.
- Enhanced MAPI Acceleration. Encrypted connections between Outlook and Exchange Server can now be accelerated.
- Support for multiple links. In previous releases, Branch Repeater had a single-link model. Release 6.0 supports up to ten independent links, each with its own link speed, so traffic can be shaped precisely on every link.
- Remote license server support. Release 6.0 allows a remote network license server to supply the Branch Repeater licenses, simplifying deployment.
- Smart Acceleration
Now traffic can be prioritized based on a variety of different parameters including service class, protocol, QoS parameters, IP address or range, port, etc. Applications are automatically detected and QoS features can be applied to all traffic including unaccelerated protocols like UDP.
- Extensive Reporting on WAN Bandwidth Utilization
Repeater administrators will have a vastly improved view into WAN operations and bandwidth utilization with several new dashboards and graphs.
- ICA Prioritization based on Desktop Group or Published Apps
XenDesktop and XenApp administrators can prioritize traffic on a WAN link based on an individual’s desktop group or a specific XenApp published application.
- Over 500 Pre-Defined Service Classes
VPX for Citrix XenServer and VMware vSphere ESX/ESXi virtual machine 6.0 includes and automatically detects over 500 pre-defined applications on the WAN. Priorities can be assigned to the pre-defined service classes so unintended traffic like games can be given very low priority or blocked.
- And Many More Features
Support for new features in the next releases of XenDesktop and XenApp, new printing acceleration enhancements, SMB2 and encrypted MAPI acceleration, acceleration for Outlook and Exchange 2010 and support for the Citrix License Server.
- The System hosting Branch Repeater VPX needs to run one of the following:
- XenServer 5.5 and 5.6.0 (but not 5.6.0 SP1 or SP2)
- VMware vSphere ESX 4.1
- VMware vSphere ESXi 4.1
The Branch Repeater VPX virtual machine requires a minimum of:
- 1 virtual CPU for XenServer, 2 CPUs for VMware vSphere. Hardware virtualization support is required in the CPU under VMware but not XenServer
- 1 GB RAM
- 60 GB disk (local disks will give maximum performance)
- 2 virtual NICs (Ethernet ports)
- For XenServer downloads
Note: The Repeater Plug-in is not included with release 6.0 Plug-ins from prior releases will interoperate with Appliances running release 6.0
Note: Branch Repeater with Windows Server is not included in release 6.0 Branch Repeater with Windows Server Appliances from prior releases will interoperate with Appliances running release 6.0
Supported Branch Repeater VPX Configurations
Release 6.0 is supported on Branch Repeater VPX running on both XenServer (5.5 and 5.6, but not 5.6 FP1) and VMware vSphere ESX/ESXi 4.1 hypervisors.
Note: The User’s Guide incorrectly states that VMware vSphere ESX 4.0 is supported. The correct list is “ESX 4.1 and ESXi 4.1.”
Note: The User’s Guide incorrectly states that the “Enable Bridging” feature is on the “System Status” page, when it is on the “Features” page.
RAM and vCPU requirements have increased with this release.
Release 6.0 supports both remote license servers and locally installed licenses. If you are upgrading an existing system with a local license, it will continue to work.
Branch Repeater VPX supports two license types: remote and local licenses
- Production licenses use remote licenses hosted on a Citrix license server. Production licenses include retail, CSP, and annual licenses
- Non-production licenses (such as VPX Express and Eval licenses) are installed locally on the Branch Repeater VPX virtual appliance
- Annual and CSP licenses need to be installed on your license server