Citrix HDX Optimization imporves Microsoft Teams performance. It extends the value and enhanced performance of Microsoft Teams.
The HDX Optimization for Teams is bundled as part of VDA in Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops. It is installed on the hosts or base image of the catalog and Citrix Virtual Apps servers, which may be used to deliver Teams.
Citrix delivers optimization for desktop-based Microsoft Teams using Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops and Citrix Workspace app. By default, Citrix bundle all the necessary components into Citrix Workspace app and the Virtual Delivery Agent (VDA). When using Microsoft Teams performance is key to achieve a good user experience.
The optimization for Microsoft Teams performance contains VDA-side HDX services and API to interface with the Microsoft Teams hosted app to receive commands. These components open a control virtual channel (CTXMTOP) to the Citrix Workspace app-side media engine. The endpoint decodes and renders the multimedia locally. Reverse seamless snaps-in the local Citrix Workspace app window back into the hosted Microsoft Teams app.
Authentication and signaling occurs natively on the Microsoft Teams-hosted app, just like the other Microsoft Teams services (for example chat or collaboration). Audio/video redirection doesn’t affect them.
To get the best user experience for your end users, Microsoft Teams performance is key and needs the following
Minimum version – Delivery Controller (DDCs) 1906.2:
Supported operating systems:
- Windows Server 2019, 2016, 2012R2 Standard and Datacenter Editions, and with the Server Core option
Minimum version – Virtual Delivery Agents (VDAs) 1906.2:
Supported operating systems:
- Windows 10 64-bit, minimum versions 1607 up to 1909.
- Windows Server 2019, 2016, and 2012 R2 (Standard and Datacenter Editions).
- BCR_x64.msi – the MSI that contains the Microsoft Teams optimization code and starts automatically from the GUI. If you’re using the command line interface for the VDA installation, don’t exclude it.
Recommended version – Citrix Workspace app 2002 for Windows and Minimum version – Citrix Workspace app 1907 for Windows:
- Windows 7, 8, and 10 (32-bit and 64-bit editions, including Embedded editions)
- Windows 10 IoT Enterprise 2016 LTSB (v1607) and 2019 LTSC (v1809)
- Endpoint requirement: Approximately 2.2–2.4 GHz dual core CPU that can support 720p HD resolution during a peer-to-peer video conference call.
- Dual or quad-core CPUs with lower base speeds (~1.5 GHz) equipped with Intel Turbo Boost or AMD Turbo Core that can boost up to at least 2.4 GHz.
- HP Thin Clients verified: t630/t640, t730/t740, mt44/mt45.
- Dell Thin Clients verified: 5070, 5470 Mobile TC.
- 10ZiG Thin Clients verified: 4510 and 5810q.
- For a complete list of verified endpoints, see Thin Clients.
- Citrix Workspace app requires a minimum of 600 MB free disk space and 1 GB RAM.
- Microsoft .NET Framework minimum requirement is version 4.6.2. Citrix Workspace app automatically downloads and installs .NET Framework if it is not present in the system.
Minimum version – Citrix Workspace app 2004 for Linux:
For more information, see Audio optimization for Microsoft Teams -experimental in What’s new in 2004.
Further more please keep these following quick tips in mind to achieve Microsoft Teams performance in Citrix.
To enable optimization for Microsoft Teams, use the Studio policy described in Microsoft Teams redirection policy (it is ON by default). In addition to this policy being enabled, HDX checks to verify that the version of Citrix Workspace app is equal to or greater than the minimum required version. If you enabled the policy and the Citrix Workspace app version is supported, the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Citrix\HDXMediaStream\MSTeamsRedirSupport registry key is set to 1 automatically on the VDA. The Microsoft Teams application reads the key to load in VDI mode.
HdxTeams.exe contacts the closest Microsoft Teams Transport Relay in the Office 365 cloud. HdxTeams.exe uses anycast IP and port 3478–3481 UDP (different UDP ports per workload, though multiplexing can happen) or 443 TCP TLSv1.2 for fallbacks. Call quality depends on the underlying network protocol. Because UDP is always recommended over TCP, Citrix advise you to design your networks to accommodate UDP traffic in the branch office.
You can deploy Microsoft Teams and Skype for Business side by side, as two separate solutions with overlapping capabilities. For more information, see Understand Microsoft Teams and Skype for Business coexistence and interoperability.