How to Increase the Number of Concurrent Users on Servers Running Hotfix Rollup Pack 6 for XenApp 5 and Presentation Server 4.5 for Windows Server 2003.
This article describes how to increase the number of concurrent users on a XenApp server when using desktop sessions.
This article focuses mainly on desktop sessions because desktop sessions is where you stand to realize the greatest increase in the number of sessions. The article aims to identify unnecessary processes so you can prevent them from being loaded into each user’s session. This allows memory and CPU cycles to be reallocated to handle more users on a server. The list of processes provided is not comprehensive. Instead, it highlights a number of Citrix related processes that, when not loaded in all users’ sessions, provide measurable performance benefits.
Procedure or Steps
- From the Start menu, select Run and then type the following command: msconfig. The System Configuration Utility appears.
- Select the Startup tab.
- Clear unnecessary processes. The following processes are recommended to be cleared:
- “jusched” – The startup process “jusched” is the Java Runtime Engine update process. The Java Runtime Engine is used by the XenApp Advanced Configuration (formerly Citrix Management or Presentation Server Console), which can be safely cleared. Citrix Labs established that removing this process from the startup can gain approximately 14% additional users per server.
- “Icabar” – The Icabar is the sidebar on the desktop that provides access XenApp components; it starts up when a member of the Administrators group connects. If the Icabar is not used by users it can be safely cleared. If there are only a few users who use the Icabar, place an Icabar shortcut in those users’ Startup folders (the Icabar process is located at %programfiles%\Citrix\System32\Icabar.exe.) Citrix Labs established that removing this process from the startup can gain approximately 13% additional users per server.
- The Citrix online plug-in, if installed on the server, can safely be removed if there are no users who need it. Depending on which version is installed, several entries for the plug-in appear on the Startup tab of the System Configuration Utility: Here are some of the latest clients:
- – Program Neighborhood Agent (Version 10.200)
- – Citrix XenApp (Version 11.0)
- – concentr” and “Online plug-in (Version 11.2)
Citrix Labs established that removing the Citrix Online Plug-in process from the startup can gain approximately 6% to 11% additional users per server, depending on the client version installed.