XenServer 7.2 introduces enhanced features and functionality for application, desktop, and server virtualization use cases.
All XenServer 7.2 features are now available to all licensed XenApp/XenDesktop customers. XenServer is an industry-leading, open source platform for cost-effective application, desktop, cloud, and server virtual infrastructures. XenServer enables organizations of any size or type to consolidate and transform compute resources into virtual workloads for today’s data center requirements, while ensuring a seamless pathway for moving workloads to the cloud.
New in XenServer 7.2 Standard Edition:
- Scheduled Snapshots
- The Scheduled Snapshots feature provides an easy-to-use backup and restore utility for critical VMs. This enables customers to configure their environment to automatically create VM snapshots at specified intervals. This helps guard against unforeseen data corruption issues, system crashes, or user errors, by providing a last-known working version of the VM.
- XenCenter Scalability Improvements
- XenServer 7.2 introduces XenCenter which offers significant improvements in UI responsiveness for customers with large-scale XenServer deployments. This enables customers to better manage their environments when dealing with a large number of pools and VMs.
- Authenticated Proxy and Improved Scalability for XenCenter
- XenCenter already allows the configuration of a proxy server to access the Internet. XenCenter 7.2 adds the ability to specify a username and password to connect to the proxy server, if the proxy server requires authentication
New in XenServer 7.2 Enterprise Edition:
- Windows Continuum (with XenDesktop 7.14 / experimental)
- Support for AMD MxGPU technology (experimental)
Please note that Licensing for XenServer 7.2 remains the same as XenServer 7.1.
XenServer on Nutanix? Yes, you can! (Make XenServer great again 😉 )
Nutanix has officially announced support for industry-leading XenApp, XenDesktop, and NetScaler running on Citrix XenServer on the Nutanix Enterprise Cloud Platform. With XenServer as the most tightly integrated hypervisor for XenApp and XenDesktop, Nutanix customers can now take advantage of unique XenServer features such as provisioning services, high performance graphics, enhanced security, and more. In addition, Provisioning Services 7.14 will now support image provisioning with the Nutanix Acropolis hypervisor, providing customers with even more choices for image management. Learn more about running XenServer on Nutanix.
Tech Preview Features
AMD MxGPU Tech PreviewEnterprise Edition With the addition of support for AMD’s virtualized graphics solution, XenServer continues its leadership in the virtualized graphics domain. Building on our first-to-market partnerships with NVIDIA vGPU and Intel GVT-g, XenServer becomes the only hypervisor platform to support the virtualization solutions of all three graphics vendors. XenServer customers can use AMD MxGPU on 64-bit versions of Windows 7, Windows 10, and Windows Server 2016 VMs. In order to participate in the Tech Preview, customers should download the required drivers from the AMD website. For more information about AMD MxGPU Tech Preview.
Tech PreviewEnablement for XenDesktop Tablet Mode Enterprise Edition
XenServer 7.2 provides support for GPIO mode laptop and slate indicator driver, which when used in conjunction with XenDesktop 7.14, allows customers to experience tablet mode. XenServer and XenDesktop are the only desktop virtualisation solution to enable Windows 10 Continuum experience in a virtualised environment.
Intel GVT-g is now supported on Intel Skylake processors.