New Portfolio Delivers Foundation for Shared IT Infrastructure, Accelerates Implementation of Both Private and Public Clouds
More customers are rethinking their IT infrastructures and evaluating alternatives to cope with the new realities of today’s business growth and pace. There is a sense of urgency to act now and move from a siloed infrastructure to a shared IT infrastructure that is more efficient and flexible in addressing today’s rapidly evolving business requirements. To help customers respond to these demands, NetApp today unveiled new platform features, products, and technologies that will help customers make the transition to a flexible and efficient shared IT infrastructure — the foundation for cloud computing — and enable IT to be an accelerator of the business.
“There’s a significant change underway as CIOs look to better align IT to the speed of business and get IT budgets under control,” said Tom Georgens, president and chief executive officer, NetApp. “This is a pivotal time, because the decisions IT leaders make will not only impact how they compete today but also the long-term success of their businesses. Winners in this market are thinking and choosing differently, and more customers are turning to NetApp as their storage platform to achieve greater flexibility and efficiency. We are paving the way for customers to transition to a shared IT infrastructure that will help them be ready for the future and use IT as a tool to capitalize on new growth opportunities.”
The following new product and technology portfolio delivers the storage platform of choice for customers to build their shared IT infrastructure and make IT more flexible and efficient.
- Unified Architecture and Systems Portfolio
- NetApp Data ONTAP® 8: Data ONTAP 8 has new features to enable greater flexibility, efficiency, scalability, and performance. A first for the industry, Unified Connect takes the unified architecture to new levels by supporting all protocols through a single wire to help increase efficiency, improve performance, and simplify management. NetApp DataMotion for Volumes allows customers to move large volumes of data without disrupting their business operations. In addition, new inline data compression can be used alone or with deduplication to help dramatically reduce the amount of storage needed and improve storage efficiency.
- NetApp FAS/V6200 Series: A family of three new high-end storage systems — FAS/V6280, FAS/V6240, and FAS/V6210 — extends NetApp’s unified architecture and provides double the performance, increased enterprise-class availability, and more scalability and flexibility. Customers can meet their mission-critical business requirements while responding to the rapid growth and pace of their business.
- NetApp FAS/V3200 Series: A family of three new midrange storage systems — FAS/V3270, FAS/V3240, and FAS/V3210 — delivers one of the industry’s most cost-effective platform for greater flexibility and efficiency, higher performance, and enterprise availability, to support today’s midrange storage requirements and adapt to future changes.
- NetApp Solid State Drives (SSDs): In addition to its market-leading Flash Cache technology, the introduction of SSDs extends NetApp’s portfolio to provide an option for customers who require consistently fast response times for mission-critical applications. The new SSDs deliver high input/output operations per second and the flexibility to use them for SAN or NAS without needing a gateway or different storage system.
- NetApp SAS Disk Shelf: NetApp’s third-generation SAS-based shelf, the new DS2246, helps double the performance density, can provide up to 50% better power efficiency per rack unit, and offers strong resiliency and availability for enterprise storage needs.
- OnCommand Management Software Suite
- NetApp’s new management suite, OnCommand, allows greater control and optimization of unified storage, automation for operational efficiency, and optimal flexibility with an open API that integrates with a variety of third-party management products and hypervisors.
- FlexPod Modular Data Center Solution
- As part of their ongoing collaboration, Cisco, NetApp, and VMware are offering a presized, validated, standardized data center architecture design that is available through select joint channel partners. FlexPod for VMware® helps customers accelerate their transformation to a virtualized, shared IT infrastructure with consistent and proven designs to simplify deployment and help reduce risk.
In addition to the new product portfolio detailed above, NetApp introduced a simpler software pricing structure to make it easier for customers and partners to do business with NetApp. The new software pricing structure offers more value-added software for no additional cost as part of the base package, enhancing value and increasing flexibility for customers customizing their infrastructure.
Manish Goel, executive vice president of Product Operations, NetApp
“Yesterday’s technology strategies and approaches are inadequate for today’s requirements. The market is moving toward a more flexible and efficient shared IT infrastructure, which is optimal for virtualization and cloud computing. Customers no longer ask if they need to move to this paradigm, they now ask when and how. And the answer is now and with NetApp. We were early to recognize this trend and are uniquely positioned to help customers successfully transition to a shared IT infrastructure, enabling them to make decisions today that will impact the long-term success of their business.”
Eddy Navarro, computer systems manager for Storage, JCVI
“The science of genomics deals with staggering amounts of data and, on average, the amount of data we must store doubles every year. New sequencing technologies could increase our storage requirements by an order of magnitude. Our NetApp storage infrastructure helps us ensure our scientists have the data they need. Even when the amount of data grows exponentially, we can count on NetApp to deliver flexible, efficient storage, so that we can make the most of the dollars we get from our grants. This means JCVI can continue to lead efforts to conquer disease and improve the environment through genomics research.”
Mark Peters, senior analyst, Enterprise Strategy Group (ESG)
“Facing the dual challenges of flat IT budgets and exploding data growth, IT organizations need to keep pace with the business requirements of today yet also be ready to adapt and respond to the demands of tomorrow. The resulting urgency to employ more dynamic, flexible, and efficient IT approaches — including various cloud implementations — is being enabled by many new technologies that have matured, including those that NetApp is announcing here. These can be used to create a genuine shared IT infrastructure that combines the best of traditional and cloud approaches in order to allow organizations to seize new opportunities and ultimately to advance and accelerate their business objectives.”
Availability and Pricing
The NetApp products and technologies can be ordered today through NetApp or NetApp’s worldwide network of value-added authorized solution providers, distributors and systems integrators. Customer pricing for these solutions is also available from NetApp sales or reseller partners. For more information, visit https://www.netapp.com/us/how-to-buy/.
Virtual Event: “Make the Leap to a Shared IT Infrastructure”
Join NetApp for a virtual event to learn how its new platform features, products, and technologies can make IT ready for the future. Hear NetApp executives Tom Georgens, Manish Goel, and Brendon Howe, as well as Mark Peters, ESG senior analyst, and Robert Ross, chief security officer and senior vice president of Network and Technical Services at DCI, discuss how a shared infrastructure built on NetApp can enable IT to deliver unparalleled efficiency and flexibility to an organization. To register, visit www.netapp.com/us/forms/future-ready-reg.html.
- Read NetApp’s feature story, “Is Your IT as Flexible as Your Business Needs It to Be?”: https://www.netapp.com/us/company/leadership/flexible-it/flexible-it.html
- Learn more about NetApp’s new storage-buying criteria for shared IT infrastructure: https://media.netapp.com/documents/rfp-exec-summary.pdf
- Hear Manish Goel talk about flexible IT and why organizations should be thinking about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_3wikT4ajQ
- Read Val Bercovici’s blog to learn more about how NetApp’s approach to shared IT infrastructure can help customers go further, faster: https://blogs.netapp.com/exposed/
- Read Vaughn Stewart’s blog to learn more about how virtualization is driving customer innovation in today’s flexible IT infrastructure: https://blogs.netapp.com/virtualstorageguy/
- Follow NetApp on Twitter at https://twitter.com/netapp and on NetApp Cloud at www.twitter.com/NetAppCloud
- Discuss this news in the NetApp Community at www.netapp.com/us/communities
NetApp creates innovative storage and data management solutions that accelerate business breakthroughs and deliver outstanding cost efficiency. Discover NetApp’s passion for helping companies around the world go further, faster at www.netapp.com.
NetApp, the NetApp logo, Go further, faster, and Data ONTAP are trademarks or registered trademarks of NetApp, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. VMware is a registered trademark of VMware, Inc. All other brands or products are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders and should be treated as such.