NetApp SnapProtect Management Software Accelerates and Simplifies Data Protection for Shared IT Infrastructures
SnapProtect Management Software Expands NetApp’s Integrated Data Protection Portfolio to Improve Backup and Recovery in Virtualized and Physical Environments
As enterprises transition to flexible and efficientshared IT infrastructures — the foundation for cloud computing — they are increasingly turning to virtualization to gain greater value and improve efficiencies. They are also seeking ways to reliably meet recovery point objectives within compressed timeframes. To address these evolving requirements, NetApp (NASDAQ: NTAP) is strengthening its industry-leading portfolio of Integrated Data Protection solutions with its new NetApp® SnapProtect® management software. SnapProtect software combines efficient, high-speed NetApp Snapshot™ copies and replication with tape in a single backup solution to help organizations improve the speed, efficiency, and simplicity of their backup and recovery operations.
With today’s announcement, NetApp has expanded its collaboration with CommVault (NASDAQ: CVLT) to include a global OEM agreement under which its industry-leading CommVault® Simpana® software provides a core component of the new NetApp SnapProtect offering. Today’s announcement further underscores NetApp’s commitment to OEM business models as an integral component of the company’s strategy to expand its market reach.
- In transitioning to virtualized, shared IT environments, enterprises are turning to snapshot copies to achieve greater efficiencies, back up vast data volumes within short timetables to meet demanding service levels, and recover business operations quickly.
- To maximize the efficiencies of snapshot copies, many backup strategies employed by enterprises today require a separate management process or detailed scripting, which introduces complexity and the potential for data loss. Using a single management framework, NetApp SnapProtect software eliminates the need to manage snapshot operations and backup in parallel, allowing enterprises to gain the speed and efficiency of snapshot copies with the flexibility of an industry-leading backup application.
- NetApp is focused on leveraging its vast ecosystem of industry-leading technology partners to deliver innovative solutions that help enterprises transition to a flexible and efficient shared IT infrastructure and that enable IT to be an accelerator of the business.
- Backup and recovery technology is a key element of integrated data protection — one of NetApp’s eight key purchasing criteria for enabling a flexible and efficient shared IT infrastructure. The NetApp Integrated Data Protection product portfolio is widely recognized in the industry for reducing costs and minimizing overall storage capacity requirements with a single unified architecture that delivers high availability, backup, compliance, and disaster recovery services.
- In addition, NetApp is expanding integration with CommVault Simpana software to manage both NetApp Snapshot copies and replication in their existing Simpana environment. This integration delivers an innovative approach to data protection that helps customers streamline management of terabytes to petabytes of data.
- SnapProtect software is one of several solutions that are part of NetApp’s strategy to accelerate and simplify backup and recovery through the integration of NetApp Snapshot copies and replication with third-party backup management provided by innovative partners.
NetApp SnapProtect Solution Details
- Fast and flexible. SnapProtect software combines high-speed NetApp Snapshot copies and disk-to-disk replication with traditional tape backup processes in a single solution. This solution accelerates NetApp data protection and enables users to customize a strategy based on cost, compliance, and recovery objectives.
- Efficient. SnapProtect software leverages NetApp’s innovative storage efficiency technologies, which are widely recognized in the industry and can reduce storage usage on primary and secondary disk by up to 90% to optimize IT efficiency.
- Simple. Snapshot copy creation, replication, and movement to tape are all managed from a unified console, enabling customers to respond faster to issues, streamline operations, and simplify management. A unified catalog tracks backups across disk and tape, accelerating search and restore operations.
- Virtualization and application aware. SnapProtect software tightly integrates with virtualization, database, collaboration, and messaging applications to enable faster backup and granular, application-specific restores.
- Integration for faster, more efficient operations. Through integration with the latest version of CommVault Simpana 9 software, NetApp Snapshot copies and SnapVault® replication can be provisioned and managed within a customer’s existing environment. Today’s announcement expands the integration to include virtually seamless Snapshot copy to SnapVault backup to tape policy support, SnapMirror® replication support, enhanced hypervisor and database support, and automated secondary storage provisioning.
- Extensible. Every NetApp solution has access to the broader set of high-availability, disaster recovery, compliance, and archive capabilities found in the NetApp Integrated Data Protection portfolio. This enables customers to greatly reduce cost and complexity across all their data protection needs.