Citrix releases Avalon Excalibur Tech Preview
Project Avalon Excalibur Technology Preview is our next-generation, unified desktop and app virtualization technology that is reinventing the delivery of Windows apps and desktops for mobility in the cloud-era. The availability of this tech preview will allow Citrix customers and partners to have a first-hand look at a new unified FlexCast infrastructure combining VDI and Hosted Shared desktops and apps from a single platform.
New features include:
- Simplified, unified, and expanded FlexCast 2.0 architecture
New unified FlexCast 2.0 architecture combines simplified and integrated provisioning and personalization tools for both desktops and apps, delivered from either a desktop-based or server-based operating system.
- Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8
Host Windows 8 VDI desktops or VM hosted applications in addition to Windows Server 2012 server-based desktops and applications. This tech preview also supports Windows 2008R2/SP1 and Windows 7.
- SuperCodec for Optimized Graphics
New enhancements to HDX using Deep Compression Codec technology double the visual performance of desktops and apps to mobile devices dynamically adapting for device type, form factor and network connection while still leveraging the processing power of modern tablets and smartphones
- Storefront for apps & data
Create centralized enterprise app stores to deliver desktops, applications, and other resources to users on any device, anywhere with the Citrix StoreFront.
- Intelligent configuration tools
New intelligent configuration tools for deploying desktops and apps that proactively check configuration errors in real time while streamlining the provisioning of profile management and storefront settings.
- Delegated Administration
Enterprise-class administration model includes role-based access, custom roles with configurable permissions, and fine-grained, object-based control.
- Advanced Configuration Logging
Capture site configuration changes and administrative activities within a single tool, Desktop Studio. Use Desktop Studio to diagnose and troubleshoot problems after configuration changes are made, assist change management, track configurations, and report administration activity.
- Personal vDisk Improvements
Improve scalability with performance enhancements designed to optimize resource utilization, deliver updates faster with the newly enhanced personal vDisk update process, and experience how an improved architecture increases the number of apps compatible with personal vDisk technology.
Note: This technology preview software is made available to you in accordance to the terms and condition you agreed to in the End User License Agreement (EULA). The technology preview is for evaluation use only. It not supported in a production environment.
Review the information documented below before getting started.
- Important Information for XenApp Administrators – helps you understand the differences between XenApp and Excalibur, as well as key concepts of the unified infrastructure.
- Deployment Guide for Project Avalon Excalibur Technology Preview – takes you through a streamlined installation and configuration process leading to a basic Excalibur deployment.
- Administrator’s Guide for Project Avalon Excalibur Technology Preview – provides information about new components and features and installing, configuring, and administering Excalibur.
Click here to download ( requires a valid mycitrix.com account)