Virtualization Software Enables Self-Service Provisioning, Consolidates Storage Hardware for Customers Including TiVo, Corporate Express, and Holland America
DEMO FALL 2010 – SANTA CLARA, CA – September 14, 2010—Delphix, the market-leading provider of database virtualization software, today announces the launch and wide availability of Delphix Server. Delphix applies the simplifying concept of virtualization to database infrastructure, turning structured data and its supporting infrastructure into software that operates in a fraction of the space, while preserving full functionality and performance. Public customers of Delphix Server include members of the Fortune 1000 across major industries, including technology, telecommunications, retail, manufacturing, consumer goods, and SaaS.
Corporate Express, a division of Staples, recently won the Best Green IT Architecture award from iCMG for its Delphix deployment in July 2010. “By virtualizing and consolidating databases, we reduced storage requirements by more than 12:1. We moved from complexity and cost to a few clicks that developers can manage themselves,” said Andrew Grech, Infrastructure and Operations Manager at Corporate Express. “In addition to the cost savings, self-service has freed our senior IT personnel to focus on higher value projects for the business. With Delphix, we can develop applications faster, with less risk and hardware.”
Delphix Server solves two major IT challenges: the operational complexity and redundant infrastructure required to support production applications on databases. “Delphix has an innovative solution to one of the largest problems in the Holland America datacenter: cost-effectively provisioning, managing, and refreshing databases,” said John Lehotsky, Director of Infrastructure and Operations, Holland America Line.
Most customers see immediate savings with a Delphix deployment and can often pay for the software in existing tier-one or tier-two storage budgets. Lehotsky added, “By using Delphix, we were able better allocate our high performance storage. This allows us to better time any future storage purchases while also introducing several new options for backup and disaster recovery. We are very excited about using Delphix and continue to discover compelling new ways to use the product.”
Delphix software installs on standard x86 servers or in virtual machines in minutes. In as little as an hour, customers can virtualize database infrastructure and have complete, fully functional databases that operate in 1/10th the space, with improved agility, manageability, and performance. While Delphix consolidates storage and reduces database provisioning and refresh times from days to minutes, it adds zero impact to production systems through its innovative synchronization technology.
“We’re honored to be launching at DEMO with Richard Rothschild, Senior Director of IT at TiVo, one of our valued customers,” said Jedidiah Yueh, Delphix CEO. “At Delphix, we believe in excellence in engineering and design, and products that deliver unusually powerful value to customers.”
“Delphix is like TiVo for databases,” said Rothschild. “It lets us instantly create virtual databases and shift them backward or forward in time. The management interface is simple and elegant—a rarity in enterprise solutions.”
Delphix Server benefits include:
- Agile Application Development: database provisioning and refresh can take days to weeks and often involve multiple operational groups; these hurdles can introduce significant delays into project schedules. Delphix automates the provisioning and refresh process, enabling developers to instantly create personal sandboxes or virtual databases (VDBs) that are up-to-date and isolated from other VDBs. With Delphix, developers can cut months out of project schedules and perform destructive or parallel testing to improve overall application quality and performance.
- Improved Data Resiliency: recovering data in the event of data loss can be unpredictable and take days to weeks, particularly if the last good state is unknown. Delphix’s patent-pending TimeFlow technology enables customers to create a running record of database changes; VDBs can be instantly provisioned from multiple points-in-time, with granularity down to the second. This time-shifting capability enables businesses to dramatically reduce the time required to recover from logical data loss.
- Storage Consolidation: The average customer creates seven copies of each production database for development, testing, QA, staging, operational reporting, pilots, and training, with each copy typically having its own dedicated and largely redundant storage. Rather than create redundant copies of infrastructure, Delphix creates a single virtual environment, where multiple VDBs can be instantly provisioned or refreshed from a shared footprint—coordinating changes and differences in the background without compromising functionality or performance. Businesses can realize 10x reductions in database storage costs with Delphix.
“Our research suggests that the easiest way to justify technology investments over the next 12-18 months is to reduce operational expenses or improve business processes,” said Brian Babineau, Senior Analyst at Enterprise Strategy Group. “Delphix does both—a rare accomplishment in technology solutions today. Delphix streamlines the infrastructure drag beneath production applications while enabling agile IT to drive innovation.”
“Server virtualization reshaped the compute tier for IT. We expect Delphix to do the same for databases,” said Matt Marshall, executive producer of DEMO. “We chose Delphix because it brings an innovative approach to the single largest source of inefficiency and inflexibility left in the modern datacenter, an area which has seen little evolution over the last decade—until now.”
DEMO Fall 2010 Information
Jedidiah Yueh, Delphix CEO, and Richard Rothschild, TiVo Senior Director of IT, will co-present the company’s market-leading database virtualization solution from the DEMO Fall stage on Tuesday, September 14th, at 4:08 p.m.
To experience a live demonstration, visit station #29 at the DEMO Fall 2010 Conference. DEMO.com visitors will also be able to view Delphix’s live stage presentation within 24 hours by clicking on the “Watch DEMO Videos” link.
- Delphix website: https://www.delphix.com
- Delphix Server: https://www.delphix.com/products.php
- Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/delphixcorp
JustSmart Communications for Delphix
Produced by the IDG Enterprise events group, the worldwide DEMO conferences focus on emerging technologies and new products innovations, which are hand selected from across the spectrum of the technology marketplace. The DEMO conferences have earned their reputation for consistently identifying cutting-edge technologies and helping entrepreneurs secure venture funding and establish critical business. For more information on the DEMO conferences, visit https://www.demo.com/.
Delphix is the market-leading provider of database virtualization solutions. Delphix software addresses the single largest source of inefficiency and inflexibility in the modern datacenter—provisioning, managing, and refreshing databases for business-critical applications. Delphix founder and CEO, Jedidiah Yueh, was Founding CEO of Avamar, a pioneering de-duplication company acquired by EMC in 2006, which shipped a billion dollar product that continues to transform datacenters with more than 20,000 customers. The Delphix team developed Oracle database clustering (RAC), used in more than 30,000 Oracle deployments, pioneered data de-duplication with Avamar, and developed the virtualization product roadmap and strategy at VMware during its growth into a multi-billion dollar business. Delphix is located in Palo Alto, California, and is backed by Greylock Partners and Lightspeed Venture Partners, two leading venture capital firms in Silicon Valley. The Delphix Board of Directors includes founding board members for companies such as Oracle, Business Objects, Informatica, Riverbed, and Avamar.