VMware has released VMware View Clients for three new platforms, expanding the market for its desktop virtualization software. The clients, currently available as technology previews support Linux, Mac and Amazon’s Kindle Fire. The Linux version can already be downloaded via the Ubuntu Software Center and the Kindle Fire version will soon be available via the Amazon Appstore for Android.
VMware has also updated it’s Android and iPad clients. The new versions are compatible with View 4.6 and 5.
“More and more people want the freedom to choose the device that best fits their computing needs in school and into the workplace,” said Pat Lee, director, end user clients, VMware. “With the new VMware View(TM) Clients, both IT and end users win with a complete, secure and easily accessible virtual desktop on the devices that best meet their needs.”
Offered as technology previews, the new VMware View Clients for Mac and Linux enable IT organizations to empower more agile, productive and connected workforce or school communities by providing an easy-to-access, high-fidelity desktop virtualization experience optimized for the device of their choice.
“More and more people want the freedom to choose the device that best fits their computing needs in school and into the workplace,” said Pat Lee, director, end user clients, VMware. “With the new VMware View™ Clients, both IT and end users win with a complete, secure and easily accessible virtual desktop on the devices that best meet their needs.”
Supporting Device Diversity
Although the proliferation of new devices is prevalent across all industries today, the education sector is at the forefront of this trend with labs supporting both Mac and Windows desktops as well as students bringing in their own tablets, laptops and PCs that are based on OS X, Windows and other platforms. The introduction of the new VMware View Clients for Mac and Linux will enable campus IT organizations to better support these end users and help ensure that students have readily available access to their applications and a consistent learning experience across devices.
“Fifty-one percent of our faculty computers are Macs and just over 29 percent of our student population uses Macs,” said Steve Swartz, chief information officer and AVP of Technology at Fitchburg State University. “Having a Mac client running VMware View™ with PCoIP® is critical to our ability to extend VDI to these users.”
“We’re very excited about this release,” added Dale A. Starr, junior associate director, Technology Support & Service, Isenberg School of Management at University of Massachusetts – Amherst. “We’ve recently started deploying Mac computers in a managed configuration. One of the sticking points that users are commonly running into is software that only runs on Windows. It will be a great benefit to have the PCoIP client for Mac.”
VMware View – Simplifying Today’s Desktop
VMware View is a complete, virtual desktop solution that enables enterprises to improve security and lower operating costs, while simplifying desktop administration and management by establishing a modern, end-user computing architecture. The result is a more flexible, centrally hosted computing model that provides IT with greater control and end users with freedom to access to their desktop across the broadest set of devices.
The new VMware View Clients deliver:
- Rich Desktop Experience with PCoIP – The new VMware View clients for Mac and Linux bring users the rich desktop VMware View experience to Mac and Linux users. VMware View Clients with PCoIP provide end users with top performance regardless of network conditions.
- Optimized for Mac OS X Lion – Designed from the ground up for the Mac and with support for Lion Full Screen mode, Mac users can seamless switch between their Mac apps and their VMware View virtual desktop with a swipe on the trackpad.
- Simple Connectivity –The VMware View clients for Mac and Linux are tightly integrated with VMware View 4.6 and 5 for simple setup and connectivity. Quickly reconnect to your desktop in a few simple steps.
- Available in Ubuntu Software Center –VMware View client for Linux will be available in the Ubuntu Software Center in the coming weeks, making it easy for desktop Linux users to install the VMware View Client and access their virtual desktops.
- Available soon in Amazon Appstore for Android for the Amazon Kindle Fire – VMware View Client for Android will soon be available in the Amazon Appstore for Android, making it easy for Amazon Kindle Fire users to install the VMware View client and access their virtual desktops.
For additional details on VMware View Client for Mac Tech Preview, go to www.vmware.com/go/macviewclient or for additional details on VMware View Client for Linux Tech Preview, go to www.vmware.com/go/linuxviewclient.